Sunday, February 22, 2009

You can save between $1,324 and $2,135 a year drinking specialty coffee!

Well, we all know that the recession is hurting and we are doing all we can to cut on our expenses. Well, I’ve been thinking about this a lot in trying to find ways to save my hard-earned money. I love freshly–roasted coffee and I don’t want to waste my money.

A few days ago I made some simple math calculations to analyze how I can cut cost on my coffee drinking habit without sacrificing the quality of my daily nectar of gods. For this simple analysis I’m using some of my previously published “coffee facts” blogs (see it at http://shade-growncoffee.blogspot.com/2008/01/here-are-some-great-facts-about-coffee.html)

The average American drinks 3 cups of coffee a day. The average coffee cup cost $1.50 for regular and $2.45 for espresso. Simply put, we spend between $1,642 and $2,682 a year in coffee drinks! We spend all this money not only because we love coffee but also because our productivity increases. We are more alert. We share coffee with friends. We socialize better. We become happier. You know, these are just some of the benefits I get from coffee. However, I can still cut these costs and get all of these benefits by simply buying freshly-roasted specialty coffee and brewing it myself home or at the office.

If I buy a pound (16 oz.) of medium to dark roast coffee I can brew up to 40 cups of this wonderful nectar. Taking the prices of some of the best Specialty coffees that fluctuates between $12 and 20 a pound, each cup of coffee (regardless if it is regular or espresso) you brew will cost just between $0.30 and $0.50. This translates into daily savings of between $3.60 and $5.85 a day or yearly savings of between $1,324 and $2,135 a year! (NOTE: If you drink at Starbucks or any of the other more expensive coffee shops you can multiply these costs and savings by at leas a factor of 2!)

As you can see enjoying a good cup of coffee doesn’t need to be a casualty of this recession. Just by buying fresh coffee ready to brew and brewing it yourself you’ll be saving a lot of money!



Leo


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good fill someone in on and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.

Anonymous said...

...And if you prefer Fair Trade and/or organic coffee, you just have helped our hardworking marginalized coffee farmers and even wholesale coffee suppliers in more ways than one. In these hard times, they're some of the most affected, and we need to keep supporting them. It's in their able hands from which the best morning cups come from.

Wholesale coffee distributors should also help educate us in maximizing our resources while still being able to enjoy great coffee. An adept wholesale coffee distributor could give us price-friendly coffee while still retaining those great coffee qualities.